No Chocolate for Pugs at Easter

Why you should never give your Pug Chocolate

While the hard to resist begging look that goes across the face of a Pug wanting chocolate can weaken the most strict Pug parents, stay firm. Do not give in. Ever.

Chocolate contains cocoa and cocoa contains the compound theobromine. Theobromine is toxic to dogs and other pets at certain doses. Chocolate poisoning is a problem that occurs mainly in dogs but also occurs occasionally in cats or other animals.

The concentration of theobromine varies depending on the type of chocolate. For example, cocoa powder, baking chocolate and dark chocolate contain higher levels of theobromine compared to milk chocolate.

The toxicity of theobromine is dose-related, meaning that the overall effect of chocolate ingestion on the dog depends on the size of the dog, the amount of chocolate eaten and the type of chocolate eaten.

The symptoms of theobromine ingestion may include restlessness, excitement, hyperactivity, nervousness, trembling, vomiting, diarrhoea, increased drinking and increased urination, increased heart rate, muscle tremors, seizures and possibly

death.

If your dog or pet has ingested chocolate (even a small amount) you should contact your local veterinarian as soon as possible for advice.

Vets can usually treat chocolate poisoning by inducing vomiting and with supportive therapy in hospital but it is important to seek veterinary attention quickly. Given this, it is important not to give your pets any chocolate and to ensure they cannot accidentally access any of your chocolate supplies, especially over Easter!

For gorgeous safe Easter gifts for your Pug visit our PugLove Store. 

 

Say NO to chocolate this Easter
Say NO to chocolate this Easter