Christmas is a great time of year and should be fun for all the family, Pugs included. Many of us are already aware of some of the potential toxic foods our dogs can come across and take steps to avoid them.
However, the festive period is one where we often introduce lots of of exciting new things into the house that we don’t normally have. Some of these things can be potentially harmful to our Pugs and it’s worth knowing some of the common foods to avoid giving your Pug.
We have tried to give you a few of the most common Christmas poisonings below. It goes without saying, if in doubt or concerned in any way contact your vet and they will be able to advise you.
Christmas pudding, Christmas Cake and Mince Pies
These Christmas Goodies are bad for Pugs for a number of reasons:
- – They are jam-packed full of current raisins and sultanas. These are all a variation on the ‘grape’ and as such have the same serious health risks. It is common for them to ingest far more ‘grapes’ in this form than they would fresh grapes because there are so many packed into these cakes and they are smaller.
- – They are full of fat, suet etc which can often give them severe stomach troubles, vomiting etc but also, more worryingly high fat meals are one of the high risk factors leading to pancreatitis. This can be a very serious and costly disease to treat.
- – They are usually laced with large amounts of alcohol which can cause many of the symptoms of intoxication seen in people.
Chocolate coins and other chocolate decorations
Most people are aware of the dangers for Pugs from eating chocolate and take steps to avoid leaving any near their Pugs. However, it can be easy to forget about the chocolate coins or decorations and leave them in an irresistible place. As well as the dangers of the chocolate the actual wrapping foil can be problematic as they work through the gut system.
At this time of year we often cook lots more meat joints than usual and this normally results in many more bones lying about. Once cooked all bones become brittle and splinter easily. This can lead to larger fragments getting ‘stuck’ causing obstructions but also smaller pieces can cause gut irritation and perforation or even just difficulty toileting.
Please Note. Birds (turkey/chicken/goose) are all hollow boned animals and as such these bones will splinter either raw or cooked and so must never be given to your dog under any circumstances.
Within 12 hours of ingestion macadamia nuts can cause Pugs to experience weakness, depression, tremors, vomiting and hyperthermia (increased body temperature). These symptoms tend to last for approximately 12 to 48 hours, and as with all the other food groups mentioned if you suspect your Pug has eaten macadamia nuts note the possible quantity consumed and contact your vet.
We tend to use much more alcohol in our cooking at this time of year and so even normal titbits can be potentially problematic over the Christmas period. As it is for Humans, alcohol is also intoxicating for Pugs and can cause similar unpleasant side effects.
If your Pug does get into mischief and consumes any of these things then the first thing to do is contact your local vet for advice. Often the quicker treatment is sought the easier and more successful the treatment.
Onions and Garlic
Before you scrap the left over into your dog’s bowl, know this. The onions and garlic can damage a dog’s red blood cells. If your Pug is given regular meals containing these bulbous plants – be it raw onions and garlic in mince meat, cooked leftovers, or the powdered and dehydrated variety often found in packaged foods – regular consumption can lead to haemolytic Anaemia.
If you spill coffee, tea or soft drink on the floor, be sure to wipe it up before your Pug cleans it up for you. These drinks all contain caffeine, a stimulant that can cause heart palpitations and seizures in Pugs.
Fatty and oily food
Fat trimmings, fried dishes, some dairy products and other greasy food are not good for Pugs, Too much of it can cause pancreatitis, the symptoms of which include diarrhoea, vomiting and abdominal pain.
Just like in humans, excessive sugar can lead to health problems such as tooth decay, obesity and diabetes. Be wary of sugar-free alternatives, too. Sugarless sweets with Xylitol may cause liver damage and even death to Pugs.
Avocados can cause tummy pains and upsets including vomiting and diarrhoea.
Avocados contain a substance called Persin which is highly toxic in most animals, including Pugs.
Potatoes which are green or the potato sprouts
These contain solanine glycosides which can cause vomiting, abdominal pain, bloody diarrhoea, nervous system stimulation, depression, trembling, paralysis & cardiac arrest.
Avoid giving your Pug too much salt. Too much is not good for us and it’s not good for them.
For great Designer Pug Wear these holidays check out our range at The PugLove Store